People count more than numbers


Relief For Long Term Unemployed Starting A Business

Where an individual who has been unemployed for 12 months and has been in receipt of inter alia jobseekers benefit, jobseekers allowance or a Single Parent Child Carer Credit that individual may be entitled to claim relief from income tax on the first two years of trading capped at a value of €40,000 per annum. USC and PRSI will continue to be payable.

The new business must:

  • be set up between 25 October 2013 and 31st December 2016
  • be a new business and not a business that was bought, inherited or otherwise acquired
  • be an unincorporated business (i.e. it must not be registered as a company

The relief can apply to multiple new trades carried on by the one individual provided the limit of €40,000 is not breached.

For more advice contact FMB on 01 645 2002 or Email

Sign up for our quarterly Newsletter and keep up-to-date with FMB news on business, finance and more.


    To book an initial free consultation with one of our professionals please complete the brief form below and one of our team will get back to you promptly. Alternatively, you can call us on (01) 645 2002.

    *indicates required field

    Learn more about our Privacy Policy